7 Lispenard Street
77 Wooster Street
535 West 22nd Street
195 Tenth Avenue
231 Eleventh Avenue
Welcome to Printed Matter, Inc.,
the world’s leading non-profit organization
dedicated to the dissemination, understanding
and appreciation of artists’ books...
- What Printed Matter Does
- Printed Matter circulates over 32,000 publications annually on behalf of artists and small presses through our non-profit store in Chelsea, our online catalog, and other distribution channels.
- PM’s Exhibitions feature works by artists and collectives instrumental in shaping the field of artists' books, as well as emerging artists who engage the medium in exciting new ways.
- PM Fairs operates the world’s two premier events for artists’ books, the NY Art Book Fair and the LA Art Book Fair and attends other fairs worldwide.
- PM Publishing focuses on producing books by emerging artists, socially & politically engaged works, and technically innovative publications.
- PM offers educational services to promote the understanding of artists’ books both in store and at forums worldwide.
- PM hosts over 80 events a year on behalf of book artists including talks, lectures and performances.
- The PM Window Series gives artists a highly visible space to showcase their projects in the heart of Chelsea.
- PM regularly works with artists to create editioned artworks to support our non-profit services for book artists.
- PM maintains one of the world's largest bibliographic records pertaining to artists’ books available online for research purposes.
- PM is available for collector and library consultation services for sourcing titles and building a contemporary collection.
- Collected since 1976, PM's Archive stands as an important record of the development and trajectory of the artists’ book field as it intersects with Printed Matter’s institutional history.
- Printed Matter is Moving!
Printed Matter is moving this August! To learn more about and support our Capital Campaign for the build-out and move to our new home click here.
The History of All Hitherto Existing Society composed by Chang Yuchen and performed at Printed Matter on February 15th, 2014.
This video documents a portion of Yuchen's performance. A selection of Yuchen's books are available on our site including a pamphlet based on the score of the piece. See more of Yuchen's work on her website.
WW 3 Illustrated was founded in 1980 by Seth Tobocman and Peter Kuper and run by a group of artists working with the unified goal of creating a home for political comics, graphics and stories. Check out our back issues of WW III comics here as well as this curated table.
Remote Penetration by Dynasty Handbag, 2014. Directed by Josef Kraska, written by Jibz Cameron, costume design by Hayden Dunham, production assistance by Eryk Aughenbaugh.
Purple Changes by Victor Kerlow, 2013.
Things change in shades of purple in this animation comprised of over 600 hand water colored frames. Check out Victor's book Junkie Food and Bare Knuckle here, and see more of his work on his website.
This highlight reel of the LA Art Book Fair was put together by the Los Angeles Review of Books and features publishers such as Women's Center for Creative Work, Darin Klein & Friends, Samantha Culp and Insert Blanc Press.