Welcome to Printed Matter, Inc.,
the world’s leading non-profit organization
dedicated to the dissemination, understanding
and appreciation of artists’ books...
- What Printed Matter Does
- Printed Matter circulates over 32,000 publications annually on behalf of artists and small presses through our non-profit store in Chelsea, our online catalog, and other distribution channels.
- PM’s Exhibitions feature works by artists and collectives instrumental in shaping the field of artists' books, as well as emerging artists who engage the medium in exciting new ways.
- PM Fairs operates the world’s two premier events for artists’ books, the NY Art Book Fair and the LA Art Book Fair and attends other fairs worldwide.
- PM Publishing focuses on producing books by emerging artists, socially & politically engaged works, and technically innovative publications.
- PM offers educational services to promote the understanding of artists’ books both in store and at forums worldwide.
- PM hosts over 80 events a year on behalf of book artists including talks, lectures and performances.
- The PM Window Series gives artists a highly visible space to showcase their projects in the heart of Chelsea.
- PM regularly works with artists to create editioned artworks to support our non-profit services for book artists.
- PM maintains one of the world's largest bibliographic records pertaining to artists’ books available online for research purposes.
- PM is available for collector and library consultation services for sourcing titles and building a contemporary collection.
- Collected since 1976, PM's Archive stands as an important record of the development and trajectory of the artists’ book field as it intersects with Printed Matter’s institutional history.
- Find Us
- Mon–Wed: 11AM–7PM
- Thurs–Fri: 11AM–8PM
- Sat: 11AM–7PM
- Sun: Closed
- "I COLORI DELLA LUCE"
"I COLORI DELLA LUCE" by Bruno Munari and Marcello Piccardo, September 1963
View a table of Munari's books available for purchase, collected in correlation with our exhibition at the 2013 NY Art Book Fair curated by Rebecca O'Keefe.
Social Malpractice Publishing's Sean Joseph Patrick Carney at Printed Matter's LA Art Book Fair. Come by Printed Matter for the launch of Self Help, the latest publication from Social Malpractice Publishing. If you can't make it, check out this here of Social Malpractice Publications available for purchase. Video by Matt Glass and Jordan Wayne Long, edited by Matt Glass. See more from Matt and Jordan at www.halfcuttea.com.
Bread and Puppet Theater's "Dead Man Rises" performed at Columbia University in New York City in 1968
View a table of B&P Press publications available for purchase, collected in correlation with the upcoming exhibition at Printed Matter's storefront.
"Daily News" by Barbara Rosenthal, 1992
Recently screened in Rosenthal's mini-retrospective, "Existential Word Play", at Millenium Film Workshop, NY, January 2013. For a complete listing of Rosenthal's titles available for sale, click here.